Thursday, October 18, 2007

New review for Sony W80

The W80 has been around a while, but DP review (one of the best spec-oriented sites) just posted their review. They note several problems:

Battery life didn't hold up to the CIPA rating of 340 shots per charge - they found it was closer to 200 shots. They were unimpressed with image stabilization (in general, not just with this camera. I think this is rather unfair, and I'm not sure where they are coming from). They also complain about the over-noise reduction that the camera applies above ISO 100 (but as I've said, this is less of an issue if you shoot at 5 MP). They also note the corner blur issue. Most damming to them, however, is that indoor performance is quite poor - the ISO goes too high, and focus is very slow.

Interestingly, they have a side by side comparison page with the Canon SD800, much like I've been doing with the SD850. To my eyes, the W80 won.

No comments: